Saturday, December 4, 2010

Bring it on thirties!

This is a long post, more for me and my recollection of the monumental event, so feel free to skim on down to the pictures...

It's official. I'm 30 years old.  I can't believe how amazing I feel and how happy I am to be welcoming in another decade.  My 20's were great...

College, skating, dancing, parties, friends, roommates, meeting a boy in a band, falling in love, being a groupie, buying my own dog, turning 21, getting my first "real job", getting engaged, focusing on my career, moving to Seattle for my career, getting married to the love of my life, starting our own traditions, cooking Thanksgiving all by myself, traveling with my soulmate, taking chances, leaving everything we know, moving to Philadelphia for my husband's career, starting a whole new life, new job, new friends, our first purchased home, my first pregnancy, my adorable baby girl, leaving my career behind, my new life as a mommy and now moving back west.  It's been an amazing 10 years and I am so grateful for all that life has given me.  I feel like I've lived my 20's and I'm so ready to take on the next decade beginning with our big move to California.
My 21st Birthday with Mike in Vegas.
I have to say the best thing about my 20's was meeting my husband.  Mike is hands down the most incredible person I know.  He worked really hard to make my 30th the most memorable birthday of my life without having all of our friends and family near us.  Here's a recollection of the events... and warning, it's not quick.

Friday I went out with my girlfriends here in Philly.  We went to this amazing new restaurant on the top floor of one of the largest buildings in the city, R2L.  The view was amazing, the food was great and the company was delightful.  Thanks to Lauren, Meghann and Leslie for kicking my 30th of right.
Mike had originally planned to do a small something on my actual bday (the day before Thanksgiving this year) and do a bigger celebration over the weekend.  But, we were fortunate enough to have my brother and his family come for Thanksgiving and they arrived on my birthday.  He had an entire theme thought out.  30 years over 3 days, 30 gifts at 10 per day and each of the 3 days signifying a moment.  The past, the present and the future.  So, Mike and I did his mini celebration on Tuesday, focusing on the past.

1. Flowers were delivered
2. A card from Mike
3. A card from Stella and
4. A pair of Toms from Stella too.
5. Nerd Ropes (my fave in college)
6. A coconut (which we cracked, baked and made chips out of, like the chips we ate on our 5 year anniversary along the road to Hana)
7. A box of Bisquick (which we made crepes with, like Mike did the first time he cooked for me)
8. A box of Macaroons (our favorite Parisian treat)
9. A bottle of wine (the first "nice" bottle we ever bought)
10. A beautiful Chocolate cake
 

On Wednesday, my actual birthday I enjoyed phone calls and surprise packages from friends and family throughout the day and celebrated that evening with my brother and his family.  They sang to me and we ate my chocolate cake, it was AMAZING!

Saturday, was the second day of Mike's celebration focusing on the present.
1. At 11:30 am, Mike and I went to run a few errands, but instead he dropped me off at a spa and said, "I'll be here to pick you up at 4:30."  I was in shock, so excited and so unaware.  I have never had a "spa day", although I must say I've always wanted one and imagined what it might be like.  It was everything I had imagined and maybe even more... Facial, Massage, Lunch, Manicure, and Pedicure.
2. When Mike picked me up, he had a hot Eggnog Latte from Starbucks, mmmm. My favorite.
3. I got home and was told to quickly shower and get ready for the evening, when I walked into the bathroom there were more flowers.
4. and a card.
5. As I was reading the card, Mike walked in with 2 glasses and a bottle of champagne.  The card talked about enjoying the present and I was thinking about that day, how amazingly lucky I was, when Mike closed the door behind him and there was...
6. A bottle of new perfume and...
7. A beautiful black dress from my favorite designer that Mike had picked out and bought for me to wear along with...
8. A pair of charcoal booties.  I was stunned, amazed and started crying at how incredibly thoughtful, creative and romantic my husband was.
9. Once I was dressed and ready, the babysitter arrived (all set up by Mike, unbeknownst to me) and we drove to the city and enjoyed a lovely dinner at Buddakan.
10. Once we got home, we cozied up and rented a movie (Grown Ups) one of our absolute favorite things to do.


 
I couldn't believe it could continue, but it did.  And on Sunday, we celebrated the future...
1. Flowers
2. A card
3. A new pair of flip flops (moving to Cali and all)
4. New sunscreen
5. A pair of sunglasses
6. Dwell - A design magazine, to inspire design ideas for our future home in Cali
7. A new sweater/dress
8. New Running Shoes
9. Registration for the 2 of us to run in the Huntington Beach 1/2 Marathon in February.
10. A day of shopping at King of Prussia Mall.

It was truly the best and most memorable birthday of my life.  I'm so happy, so lucky and so grateful to have the amazing family and friends that I have.  Thanks to everyone for remembering me on my special day and most of all, thank you Mike for being... well, you.  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously!????? I didn't know there was a guy on this EARTH who could be so deliberately thoughtful! You are one lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete