Monday, February 16, 2009

Moms - A few words of wisdom for the mom to be...?

Hi friends and family that also happen to be moms!

So, a few of you heard about our trip to babies r us yesterday and how we were so excited to go in and shoot the gun at all of the fun, cute baby stuff... only to come out with a diaper genie, a pacifier and a few bottles under our registry. It was so overwhelming, I thought I was going to pass out- it was a combination of product overload, pastel and primary colors aplenty, fluorescent lighting, crying babies...etc. I walked out feeling so clueless, so frustrated and so defeated. It was nothing like the wedding registry. Why doesn't anyone tell you this? I know there's a ton we need, but I also know there's a ton that we don't need. Remember, these two things: 1) We don't want to go overboard and spend a ton of $, especially in these economic times (but we also want the best of the best; I like to think quality over quantity) and 2) we have an 800 sq ft loft in the city (so not a lot of space for extra things we won't use.)

Anyways, I decided to reach out to the moms I know, trust and respect. I need your advice. I know you guys have all been through this and I'm sure there's stuff you absolutely loved that you feel you couldn't have lived without, or just "nice-to-have's" that you really feel made a difference in your life and there's probably a bunch of "Junk" you got that you never really used too. So, I'm asking you a favor... I know, it's a pretty huge favor. But, could you each take a few minutes and write a list of your 10 Must Haves/Favorite Things (include brand names...etc) and a list of the top 5 things you DO NOT need (a.k.a. you wasted your $ on them.) Of course, if you have more time and other advice, wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

The Dayby thanks you in advance!

4 comments:

  1. 1. Soft clothes, that wash easely and don't need much care. (baby towells, burbing cloths, soft bankets, infant diapers and a binkie)
    2. Safe changing table with necessary items close at hand(powder, wet wipes, baggies, ointment for rashes, clean diapers,diaper waste can,a change of clothes)
    3. Safe crib with bumper and mobile
    4. Good baby stroller with the wheels that rotate and room to carry diaper bag
    5. Baby carrier for stomach ( I did not like the back pack)
    6. Safe Car seat that can be used as a carrier.
    7. a few stimulating toys to watch.(a music box)
    8. a camera that is downloaded all of the time for me to see pictures! HA!
    I guess I am going to be "Anonymous", I don't know how to select another profile? Call me and tell me how....Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off...I too was in this predicament and received a lot of input from other moms too...

    1. Take the diaper genie back and get the Diaper Champ. The diaper genie requires you buy their bags and the Diaper champ uses just everyday household bags---thus reducing the amount of times you have to make the trip to Babies-R-Us.
    2. Get a boppy if you intend on breastfeeding. I love mine, but I didn't get the Boppy brand. I ended up getting a Bosom Baby...you can find them at www.lunalullaby.com I love that they are tad bit plusher and more ergonomically comfortable than the boppy brand.
    3. swaddling blankers (preferably the wafflely stretchy kind that bundle real tight).
    4. A sling... I bought a Moby Wrap and I LOVE it, because from day one they fit in and you change their position as they get older.
    5. A moses basker--I love that we can put him in it and he can move around with us from room to room.
    6. pampers swaddlers newborn diapers-- Huggies and other brands just don't fit as well on their tiny bums. :)
    7. A bob stroller-- it's a jogging stroller, but you can also buy the car seat attachment so it can work with your newborn too. We love ours.
    8. Lily Padz for the girls
    9. Co-side bed sleeper.
    10. oh and tim's friend swears by the baby sensor movement detectors so of course tim got one. HOwever, it is a peace of mind to know that it will alarm if your child stops breathing.

    wow...my list is long...sorry I may have gotten carried away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES
    1. A good stroller. I LOVE my Phil and Ted's and would highly recommend it to anyone who's planning on having more than 1 child. It's pricey, but when you consider just buying the add-on instead of buying another double stoller later, it's very worth it. Even Reed, who is soooo frugal admits it was worth it. It's also very versatile and can go downtown, or running.
    2. I second the sling. I had a Maya wrap and Gray loved it.
    3. Swaddling blankets and learn how to swaddle TIGHT, trust me, your sanity depends on it. The Amy Coe from Target are thin (for a summer baby)and large enough that you can use them longer than a month.
    4. Bumpo chair; easier and more transportable than a swing/bouncer.
    5. Outfits. Okay, here's my soapbox. I'm pretty nazi about my kids clothes. I like them to look cute and be nice, but they grow so fast! So, I only buy 8 everyday outfits in each size (this is probably easier for boys :). I also plan ahead and have a little card that I carry with what they need for the next size/season and buy on sales. This way they can have cute, quality clothes without spending a fortune. Yes, I know, I'm a dork.
    6. That said, I'm a sucker for cute pjs, especially "gowns" for newborns. If you're going to be seeing your kid at night they better look cute.
    7.Books. It's never too young to read to your kids. I like to have one "lullaby book" we read each night that's unique to the child.
    8. Security object. A blanket, "lovey", stuffed animal. It really helps my boys sleep well and soundly anywhere.
    9. Cosleeper. We have one that hooks right next to the bed and then later can be used as a portacrib. In the beginning it's awesome to have the baby so close at night, but not in your bed and the conversion keeps it relevant.

    NO
    1. A nice highchair. We got a nice one with Matts and by the time he was done it was gross! For Gray we just used a booster w/a buckle, it's ALOT cheaper and takes up ALOT less room.
    2. Swing/bouncer. Not so much that you don't need one, but try to borrow them, say from your friend in Atlanta, b/c most babies like one or the other.
    3. Bedding. Since I'm slightly paranoid my boys' cribs are pretty stripped down, meaning no quilt and no bumpers, making the bedding set essentially useless. I just made the bedskirt/crib sheet and decorated around that.
    4. Diaper genie etc. Some people love them, but they always smelt weird to me. I just run the diapers out to the trash as needed (that said, different living arrangements could alter this).
    5. Changing table. We've never had one and honestly never missed it. I just had baskets/decorator boxes placed strategically around the house with diapering stuff and changed them wherever we were.

    Wow, You get me started and I may not shut up. Seriously, let me know if you need anything else and have 5 years to listen to the answer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are awesome, thanks so much for the advice- this will definitely be helpful. I feel like with all of the feedback, I'll go in next time knowing exactly what we need. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete